The favourite tools change over time, often due to evolution in technology, sometimes due to change of taste. Often there is a general purpose major tools, and there are other tools for occational specual purpose.
- Major: Unix → Solaris → Redhat → Suse → Ubuntu
- Others: Windows
- Reason: I love Free Software.
- Started with Vim, did not find any rason to change.
- Microsoft Word → Lyx → Latex → markdown.
- Others: MS word, Libreoffice Writer, and Latex
- Reason: I prefer markup to gui, typing to clicking. Also I prefer opensource.
- Origin → Xmgrace → Gnuplot → matplotlib in Jupyter Notebook
- Others: Excel
- Reason: Free software is preferred.
Molecular visualizer and builder
- Main: Z-matrix → molden → Gaussview → Material Studio Visualiser → Avogadro
- Others: Gaussview, molden
- Main: molden
- Others: Avogadro
- Reason: Avogadro is Free software, molden is lightweght.
- Main: csh → tcsh → bash → tcl, →python
- Others: bash
- Main: C → Fortran → Python
Qauantum Chemistry Calculations
- Main: Gaussian → Turbomole → Orca → Orca/Turbomole
- Others: Xtb, Mopac, Gaussian
- Main: Pine → Thunderbird → Evolution → Zimbra web client
- Main: Orkut → Facebook → Twitter
- Others: Instagram, LinkedIn
- Main: Yahoo messenger → WhatsApp
- Others: Skype
- Powerpoint → Beamer → Prezi → Powerpoint
- Vim → Jupyter/PyCharm
- Main: Netscape Navigaor → Mozilla Firefox
- Others: Chromium, Tor Browser
- Main: Yahoo → Google → DuckDuckGo